Sunday, August 29, 2010

2+what?

Yesterday marked a pretty significant event in my early time here at Southeastern.  I know what you're thinking, and it's not the beach, even though that was a pretty awesome trip!
The 2012 Deployment Brunch for 2+2 students.  You read me correctly, 2+2.  Under wise counsel, I made the decision to begin my studies under the degree category otherwise known as M.Div for International Church Planting while remaining in a state of indecision between that and the MA Intercultural Studies.  Soooo now you're caught up, back to brunch.  This was a meeting to inform us of the requirements and details of the program, let me summarize it for some of you: 60 hours of credit on campus in 2 years, the remainder of credit hours in a 2 year deployment overseas (essentially the Journeyman program).

After the meeting, not only was I undecided, I was overcome with fear... and questions... primarily how?
How can I obtain a 60 credit hour degree in 2 years? How can I afford to do so financially? How can I go overseas alone? ...Just a few, but the most unsettling, to say the least.  And you get the idea.

As I stood in the church service this morning repeating the worship lyrics, "I trust in You; I trust in You," I had to question, do I really believe, Lord, that you are my portion? Do I really believe Jesus is more than enough for me? And all that I need?
I had to bow my head and repent from this fear that grips my heart when I think of the road upon which God has placed my feet.  In my spirit of fear, I did not trust my Sovereign King, and I needed to be reminded that He has not given me a spirit of fear, but one of power, of love, and a sound mind. 

Will I fear again? Absolutely.  It's my nature to sin.  I hate it.  Jesus hates it more than I do.  But His grace and mercy are so incredibly overwhelming and His Spirit is ever-empowering as I learn my sin and practice walking with Him. 

God's provision has been endless as I've made my steps onto the campus at Southeastern.  God has allowed me to make this physical journey with a friend, a continual blessing and comfort.  He has permitted me a job working in childcare, humbling that He will select me to show love to His little ones.  And He has connected Clark and I with a couple of friends with whom we can continue the search for a church home, which I'm certain is not far in the future.

I'm looking forward to visiting home in the next week to share encouragement and love with my Knoxville family.  Your consistent prayers are evident both in sight and in spirit in my life and you cannot begin to imagine my gratitude to you for continuing walking in ministry with me even 300+ miles away :-)



And yes I'm 2 and a half hours away from the beach ;-)

1 comment:

  1. Mo! I just caught up on your recent blogs... exciting changes! I have confidence you'll make wise choices concerning your degree direction. Nevertheless, I petitioned God for immediate patience and discernment for you. Also, it seems to me that your fears are the best evidences of an ever-growing faith!

    Finally, Megg said you might be in this weekend... new boat and waiting fish are calling for the "dweller of the sea"

    "shut the front door" (rachel's version)- rich

    ReplyDelete