Friday, August 20, 2010

I Survived Da Imu!*

Well I survived one week of seminary!!!  Let's have a recap :-)
So far this week I have managed to.....
Discover Wake Forest, Raleigh, Durham, AND Chapel Hill.  Complete student orientation.  Register for classes.  Re-register and change almost my entire schedule the following day.  Go for a bike ride alone while talking on the phone (love you Kari :) ).  Attend one day of classes.  Bash myself in the back of the head with my books while exiting a bathroom stall.  Lose at CatchPhrase on game night.  Cook one dinner.  Eat numerous bologna sandwiches.  Find a park for bike riding.  Meet all male friends and one female.  Get invited to a stranger's birthday party.  Discover Clark's roommate is the male version of my good friend Rachel (love you too ;) ).  Grow accustomed to a new roommate.  Stay up late every night and sleep in every day (I had good intentions).  Have a run-in with the maintenance man (few are privy to details).  Job hunt endlessly online and to no avail.  Lock myself out of my apartment with no shoes, make-up, cell phone or any other personal belonging.  Party at open mic night on a Sonic patio.  And lastly almost attend a "teen night" function at a shady building akin to a church. 


All in all, I think I'm adjusting pretty well... wouldn't you say? I mean, up to all the familiar antics and whatnot.  If you want to hear details, you'll just have to ask me.  Full versions of stories (mine anyways) are far too long for blogging. 
While I can always have lots of good laughs at myself (if you can't laugh at you, who can ya laugh at?), I have to admit I've moved rather unwillingly into that quiet stage that I do when I first begin anything.  For those of you who've never seen this side of me and wonder to what I'm referring, you can ask Meggan or maybe even Rachel.  There's this side of me that thinks she has to observe and soak in everything in this stifling state of quietude, and I really hate it about myself.  But I know I'll get comfortable enough eventually to open up and then I'll feel like "me" again.  Don't worry Wake Forest, I'll bring out the cheese soon enough!!


And positively, I've been on time to everything so far!! (I'd tell you the truth and say I've actually been early to things, but I know you won't believe me).  And I'm teaching myself (and trying really hard) to maintain some sort of organized chaos with my books and notes and endless checklists!


*in case you were wondering, or for those who just want to get culturally stretched, an imu is an underground oven used to roast pigs at Hawaiian luaus.  Basically, a hot pit of coals.  Yeah, you may have seen those guys in grass skirts walk across them.  Get the reference? :)

1 comment:

  1. on time for everything huh?? i need witnesses to believe that!

    ReplyDelete